The increasing share of our energy supply systems which is taken up from renewable energy sources requires, in turn, a higher availability of balancing energy in order to ensure grid stability. For this reason the development of electricity storage is becoming ever more important.
The unit price of storage systems has fallen to such an extent that electricity storage is interesting not only for reserve energy applications, but also for diverse applications within electrical grids. Besides providing backup power to support renewable energies and balancing energy to the wholesale market, electricity storage permits an evening out of load peaks into low load periods. This "peak shaving" through storage helps to improve the generation efficiency of the entire system by allowing conventional power units to operate at their optimum output level.
Lahmeyer has been developing grid-connected electricity storage for over 40 years.
- Integration of renewable energies
- Demand and supply balancing
- Analysis of power systems and identification of possible storage benefits
- Comparison and selection of storage technologies
- Optimization of energy sourcing and sales strategies